Are there ways in which Genesis figures can be found in Greek Art? Robert Bowie Johnson, Jr. has written a few books based on that thesis, including Genesis in Greek Art. Johnson writes, “We go back two and a half millennia to Greek artists who were closer to it, and whose marble sculptures and vase paintings bear a silent witness to the key characters and events described in the early chapters of the Book of Genesis, validating their reality. Here is some of what we find:
- Zeus’ and Hera’s connection to the serpent-entwined apple tree.
- Cain killing Abel depicted on the Parthenon.
- Seth-men depicted as Centaurs who seize Cain-women as their wives.
- The unique Greek depiction of Noah’s Flood.
- The Cain-woman who survived the Flood as Ham’s wife.” And so on.
Robert Bowie Johnson, Jr. joins Jerry Newcombe on Vocal Point to discuss this idea. www.genesisingreekart.com